You may already know that the SPL offers discount museum passes to its patrons.
But why visit a museum? Well….museums provide:
- positive social experiences, leading to reduced social isolation
- opportunities for learning and acquiring news skills
- calming experiences, leading to decreased anxiety
- increased positive emotions, such as optimism, hope and enjoyment
- increased self-esteem and a sense of identity and community
- increased opportunities for meaning making
- positive distraction from clinical environments
- new experiences which may be novel, inspirational and meaningful
- increased communication between families, carers and health professionals
(Taken from Museums, Health and Well-being, Ashgate, 2013)
See our web site for venue-specific information. We currently offer discount passes to:
- Boston Children’s Museum
- Massachusetts (Department of Conservation & Recreation) Parks Passes
- Boston Museum of Fine Arts
- Boston Museum of Science
- New England Aquarium
- USS Constitution Museum
- Zoo New England (Franklin Park Zoo and Stone Zoo)
For some of these venues, patrons will need to reserve the library pass and then go online to book an appointment for their visit. The rules are changing all the time as COVID restrictions change. Thus, it is advisable to reserve your discount pass at least one to two weeks ahead of time so that you have a better chance of receiving the discount and ensuring that you can secure an appointment on the date you wish to visit.
Reserving a discount pass is easy. Simply go to the Museum Pass portion of our web site and book your discount coupon and learn about admission requirements.. You can also call us at 781-231-4168 ext. 3102 to reserve a pass. Please remember that you may still have to go online to the venue’s web site to book an appointment.
Published: October 7th, 2021