Reading at least 20 minutes a day is a great goal and couldn’t be more important right now. Here are some tips to help make reading fun:
- Create a routine, read at the same time every day for at least 20 minutes – like brushing your teeth, it’s just part of your day!
- Provide a variety of books – picture books, chapter books, readers, fact books, funny books, poetry, etc.
- Pay attention to what your child likes to read or even watch. Do they like a certain author, series, or genre – funny, scary, animals, super heroes. Now look for more!
- Keep reading to your child, even when they’ve already mastered the fundamentals OR grab something and read when they do.
- Curl up, get cozy, make it a special part of your day!
- As much as possible, let them choose what to read
- Find books that fit your child’s reading level, if they’re struggling, find an easier book, if they’re zooming through, encourage them to try something a bit more challenging. It’s called the Goldilocks Rule – too easy, too hard, JUST RIGHT!
- Any questions? email email@example.com and I’ll help you!
- Place holds on books for the Front Door Pick Up service – don’t be shy, get a bunch!
- Download the hoopla, Overdrive, or Libby apps Borrow ebooks, audiobooks easily, quickly, any time of day – it’s awesome! Need help? just ask! And check out the How To videos created by these companies
- More reading tips
Published: September 30th, 2020