Summer hours in effect - the library closes at 2pm on Fridays and will be closed on Saturdays until September.

History

The History of the Library

1843

The Beginning

In 1843 a group of people gathered in Saugus to debate the philosophical issues of the day. They became known as the Saugus Debating Society.
1843

Collection Starts

The members of the Saugus Debating Society collected 100 books from their private libraries and put them in a room of one member's home. They allowed each other to borrow books from this collection.
1850

Public Libraries Act 1850 Passed!

With the passage of a state law allowing Free Public Libraries to be established, this collection was turned over to the Town to start the Saugus Public Library.
1916

Central Street Library built

In 1916 the Town accepted a gift of $10,000 from the Carnegie Corporation to build a new Library on Central Street.
1996

Approval of New Budiling

That Central Street building served the Town until 1996 when the Town approved the construction of the current Library.
Present

The Library Today

Over the years the Library has evolved to meet the changing needs of the Community. Today people will find a collection of over 80,000 items, including books in regular and large print, newspapers, periodicals, CDs, DVDs, and more. Reference materials include print and electronic forms for both children and adults. The Library also provides PCs and free wireless access to the Internet.
Today

A Special Thank you

In addition to receiving public funding, the Library has benefited from the generosity and support of individuals and organizations within the community. These financial contributions have greatly enhanced Library programs, services, and collections as have the donations of paintings, local history material, furniture, clocks and curios.