Meeting Rooms Use Policy
The primary purpose of the Saugus Public Library’s meeting rooms is to allow the Library to hold meetings and programs that expand access to information and extend Library services within the community. Priority for use of the rooms is given to the Library and to Library related groups who hold meetings and programs to enhance the services of the Library. The Board of Trustees of the Saugus Public Library welcomes the use of the Community Meeting Room, located on the first floor, and the Fred Brooks Room, located on the second floor, for cultural, educational, informational, and/or civic meetings that it deems to be of general interest to the community.
The Community Meeting Room and the Fred Brooks Room are open to all groups regardless of beliefs or affiliations provided that the group is a non-profit organization, that it does not have policies that discriminate against individuals or groups of persons, that its meetings are open to the public, and that no admission fee is charged. However, because the Library is a municipal entity, groups with religious or political affiliations or agendas or groups that discriminate may not use the Library rooms. The Library does not endorse the viewpoints of meetings or meeting room users. No religious services or partisan political meetings or events may be held. All meetings are subject to the following conditions, which may be amended or excepted from time to time by the Board of Trustees:
- Library meetings and programs receive first consideration when scheduling the Meeting Rooms followed by Town of Saugus meetings. The library reserves the right to move or reschedule a meeting when unforeseen Library or Town events or meetings create a conflict. The library will attempt to give the group as much notice as possible in these circumstances.
- Individuals and/or groups may not reserve the rooms to conduct programs. All programs held in the Library are set by the Library Director in conjunction with Library Staff with the approval of the Board of Library Trustees.
- The rooms may be booked up to six months at a time with an extension after the fifth month for another six months if demand permits. However, because the rooms are in great demand, groups who need the rooms for regular meetings are encouraged to investigate alternative sites as backup to the Library rooms.
- Reservations must be made in writing on a form provided by the library and are confirmed on a first come first served basis. A signed copy of the Meeting Room Application must be received and approved by the Library Director before a meeting is held.
- Attendance is limited to the established capacity of the rooms, which is 70-75 for the Community Meeting Room and 10-12 for the Fred Brooks Room. Smoking and alcoholic beverages are not allowed. Light refreshments e.g. coffee, tea, soda,snacks may be served in the Community Meeting Room only. No food or drink is permitted in the Fred Brooks Room at any time.
- Meetings of a commercial nature to promote or create sales either in the Library or as a result of a meeting in the Library are not permitted. No sale of merchandise or exchange of money may take place in the library except for the fundraising events of the Saugus Public Library.
- The library is not responsible for the loss of, or damage to any property brought on the premises.
- Nothing shall be attached to the walls of the Rooms.
- The Individual or Group requesting the room will be responsible for the arrangement of the room and for returning the room to the condition it was in before the meeting took place. Time should be allowed immediately before and after the meeting for this purpose so that the group is prepared to leave promptly when the library closes.
- The name and telephone number of the person requesting the use of the Meeting Room will be provided to anyone who calls the library for information about the groups scheduled meeting.
- Use of the Library’s equipment must be requested at the time the room is reserved and listed on the reservation form. The person signing the form is responsible for the loss of or damage to any and all Library equipment and furnishings.
- Parents or caregivers bringing children to meetings must keep the child with them in the Meeting Room. See unaccompanied minor policy.
- Youth groups are welcome to use the Meeting Rooms. A responsible adult must make the reservation and an adult must be present during the meeting.
- The library reserves the right to close the building in extremely bad weather or other unforeseen emergencies.
- The library address or telephone number may not be used in any way that would endorse support or imply sponsorship of the meeting itself or the groups using the Meeting Rooms.
- Individuals or groups using the Meeting Rooms shall secure any necessary performance licenses and shall indemnify the Library for any failure on their part to do so.
- Advance notice of at least 24 hours must be given for cancellation of use of the Meeting Rooms. Failure to provide notice of cancellation may warrant cancellation of subsequent bookings.
- There is no charge for use of and the Meeting Rooms, however, donation to the Saugus Public Library is strongly encouraged and appreciated. The funds are used to support Library programs.
- The Meeting Rooms are available for use during normal hours of library operation. All meetings must end 30 minutes before the Library closes.
- Failure to abide by these rules may result in denial of future use of these Rooms.
The Board of Library Trustees
March 27, 2002.
The Board of Library Trustees
November 7, 2011.